Bukkit may cease to exist in the future

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by sk89q, Sep 5, 2014.

1. sk89q

sk89q Administrator Developer

As you may know, Bukkit has been taken down and downloads are no longer available. This is also applies to Spigot and Cauldron. If you have not kept up, you can read the gist.

From how things look, this may be the end of Bukkit, and that will mean the end of Bukkit plugins. Due to legal reasons, it does not appear to be possible to fork Bukkit and create a derivative version because the new fork will also have the same legal issues, unless, of course, a substantial amount of Bukkit code is rewritten from scratch.

As a result, we now have to consider other options for running servers.
    • Minecraft intends on making available a plugin API, although this has been in development for two or more years. It is not available for MC 1.8, and we do not know if it will be available for MC 1.9.
    • Minecraft Forge is a potential alternative to Bukkit, but currently it does not support un-modded clients yet. In addition, its performance is subpar to both Bukkit and Spigot. The current issues, however, could probably be fixed. Its community is of a significant size. An advantage of supporting Forge is that many gameplay mods already use Forge.
    • Canary is the spiritual successor to hMod, which itself was the spiritual ancestor to Bukkit. It has an API somewhat similar to Bukkit, especially due to its similar beginnings. However, its community is considerably smaller. Performance is likely subpar compared to Bukkit or Spigot.
    • There are alternative clean-room implementations of the Minecraft server, but they too also have a small community. In addition, they tend to fall behind Minecraft in features, though it is not an issue if your server does not make heavy use of Minecraft features (i.e. not a normal creative/survival server). Some of these implementations have been gaining traction recently due to the EULA issues.
    While we can wait to see how the Bukkit drama will resolve, it may not. For that reason, I may likely only support Forge for the future with WorldEdit and WorldGuard. WorldEdit has been available for Forge for many months now too.

Though for the immediate time being, the Bukkit versions will continue to be supported.

Currently I don't know what the plans for CommandBook, CraftBook, and CommandHelper are.

EDIT: Some of us started the Sponge project: http://spongepowered.org
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  2. Nentify

Nentify New Member

I personally think this is a little ridiculous. I think there should at least be some sort of transitionary period, as a functional Forge or new server software is going to be months down the line. Halting work on Spigot/Cauldron will be detrimental to the community. If Spigot do the same as Cauldron and go down a "patching" route, then I believe both will be able to exist with the current DMCA in place, especially just to continue supporting Minecraft servers and fixing bugs that could affect hundreds of thousands of servers across the community. This post was a bit of a brain fart, but I just don't believe the way things area going at the moment is how it should be handled for the best for the community, and also complying with the DMCA, at least for the short term. I would personally believe and hope it'd settle down in a few weeks or so, and Bukkit would remain while we work on a new system. It's crazy that one person can cause this, although I do understand both sides of the issue.
  3. Dark_Arc

Dark_Arc New Member Developer

CommandBook will follow WorldEdit, likely to Sponge/Forge based on the discussion in #nextstep.

Edit: I've moved on from MineCraft, this is in someone else's hands.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  4. LadyCailin

LadyCailin Administrator Developer

CommandHelper will follow whatever the majority support seems to be going towards, which will likely be whatever WE/WG are ported to.
    MariuszT likes this.
  5. leiger

leiger Member

For the record, I'd be happy and could make do if the only plugin I had on my server was CommandHelper. Best. Plugin. Ever.

Looking forward to seeing where this whole situation is headed, and hoping that we can have some certainty around Bukkit/Sponge/the Mojang Mod API in the near future.

Thank you all, especially LadyCailin as of late, for your hard work on CH. It's definitely appreciated.
  6. PseudoKnight

PseudoKnight Well-Known Member Developer

And WorldEdit/WorldGuard.... and a permissions plugin... and dynmap....

"... and THIS..." - The Jerk
  7. zeldaconnection

zeldaconnection New Member

Bonjour Tout le Monde,
    J'aimerais feliciter les PERSONNES Qui Ont Travaillé et travaillent rappel verser les pluggins chez Bukkit. Je suis désolée Que les richesses profitent ainsi Toujours des Moins richesses qu'eux et ne font Pas non geste de reconnaissance envers, Ceux Qui Ont les Aide à Devenir puissant. Et je voulais les remercier also.
    Traduction google:
    Bonjour tout le monde,
    Je félicite ceux qui ont travaillé et travaillons pluggins rappel de salaire dans Bukkit. Je suis désolé que la richesse et le profit toujours moins de richesse et ils font également pas un geste de gratitude, l'aider ceux qui deviennent puissants. Et je tiens à remercier.
  8. zeldaconnection

zeldaconnection New Member

9. misrold

misrold New Member

10. PseudoKnight

It technically already supports WorldEdit and WorldGuard (except for the NMS parts and whatever is currently missing from their Bukkit API support). However, since it includes Minecraft binaries it's an illegal distribution. People have talked about it in more detail on the Sponge forums, if you're curious, but don't expect direct support for it.
  11. misrold

misrold New Member

Well technically anyone that isn't running a Vanilla server has some illegal distributed code and seeing Forge is using some of the same code it's just a power struggle. I just want to run a successful server and retain players before they all give up and quit to play other games you know like No Drama.
  12. PseudoKnight

That isn't true. Forge, Glowstone (assuming APIs fall under fair use in court), and Sponge do not illegally distribute copyrighted code. If you're looking for no drama, going with an illegal distribution seems an odd choice. A better option would be to stick with 1.7.10 for now. If you want to retain players, give them a reason to keep coming back. 1.8 features will not be good enough, especially if you have to strip out functionality to get it.
  13. misrold

misrold New Member

Not to add to the drama but 1.7.10 is an illegal distribution as a matter of fact any Craftbukkit is currently illegal. So I will wait till they get served with a DMCA. Last post on this subject I was just asking a question from developers of this plugin.
  14. PseudoKnight

I'm fairly certain distributing Craftbukkit is illegal, not using it. A number of server projects are in a grey area, particularly with the Bukkit API, but Project Rainbow's website is outright illegal at this moment. Do what you want, but once Sponge/Forge gets up and running you'll want to switch. If I was a major plugin dev, I wouldn't bother with Project Rainbow. If they say they're supporting Bukkit API, then most of the work is on their end anyway, as WorldEdit/WorldGuard use the Bukkit API.
  15. sk89q

I am currently a bit short on time and I admittedly struggled just maintaining two versions of WorldEdit (Forge + Bukkit) so I don't think I will be able to.
  16. tylerhoot

tylerhoot New Member

well hello I am from the canary mod community I am just a user of the software if you come and poke around in the canary mod it may be great idea for the replacement for bukkit
  17. sk89q

There is an unofficial port of WorldEdit for Canary but I don't know how up to date it is: http://www.canarymod.net/plugins/worldedit
  18. tylerhoot

tylerhoot New Member

thanks I was just seeing since bukkit is kind of dead would you move support to another server software like canarymod like from moving it from unofficial support to official support since the bukkit is kind of dead.
  19. sk89q

Well there is still Forge and Bukkit is not entirely dead yet because there are still Bukkit servers.
  20. Madam_Guenevere

Madam_Guenevere New Member

does this mean that there will no longer be "plugins" for servers as MC continues to update and patch out new features? I would very much like to see plugins like "MetaCycler", "MonsterBlocks", and "BioSeasons" to continue!
  21. PseudoKnight

Plugins will continue to exist, just they won't be run on Craftbukkit anymore.
  22. Madam_Guenevere

Madam_Guenevere New Member

what other Forge + bukkit or mods and plugins server is there cause I like playing with both at times.
  23. PseudoKnight

What?

Forge still exists. The Bukkit API still exists (tentatively) but you'll need to run a different implementation or use an existing craftbukkit or spigot server. As mentioned above, there are some other server implementations being developed, but none are currently as mature as craftbukkit/spigot yet, and/or don't have the same kind of plugin support yet.

I'm currently going to coast along with Spigot 1.7.10 and 1.8 until Sponge (or something else) matures enough.
  24. Oboist

Oboist Member

After that and that recent news, an obvious question: Is there any chance that sk89q's plugins will be updated after Spigot 1.8 release, then (and if) it will come out, or it is decided to wait until Sponge release no matter what else happens?
  25. PseudoKnight

Most functionality should work on Spigot 1.8. WorldEdit would need an NMS update to copy particular NBT data, but besides that it should work fine even without an update. New 1.8 features wouldn't be directly supported, of course, but I imagine it'll be updated. People have servers to run.