"//distr -c" gives: "Needs to be re-written again", What's up w/that?

Discussion in 'WorldEdit' started by Jill Kitten, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Jill Kitten

Jill Kitten New Member

I was trying out the "//distr" command and when I use the clipboard switch "//distr -c" it gives an error message: "Needs to be re-written again"
    To be clear, I did have a selection and copied it into the clipboard before hand.
    And the '-d' option works nicely, but the '-c' option gives this cryptic message.

I tried searching the forum and the wiki for this phrase with Zero [0] results, does anybody have any idea what is going on with this message?
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. PseudoKnight

PseudoKnight Well-Known Member Developer

3. Jill Kitten

Jill Kitten New Member

Thanks,.. so after poking around at the code of that link you gave, it seems [from what I can tell] that the base functionality is still there [at least for cuboids] but the //distr command has not been updated to properly reference the new clipboard classes. Which if I wasn't an old retired assembly programmer and kept up on the latest popular languages, it might be a simple enough fix to rewrite the declares and either put in a check to throw an exception on invalid clipboard 'shapes' [non-cuboid], or try to barrow functionality from the other non-cuboid selection scanning code to gain the new functionality for the clipboard switch of the //distr command.

Well, it's too bad that no one has taken an interest in fixing this, it would be a handy feature to be able to scan the clipboard and get that stat data the same way you get it for the current selection [at least w/o the hassle of finding an empty space, pasting the clipboard, re-selecting the just pasted volume exactly the same way it is in the clipboard, and then finally scanning it] as I find it much more useful than just getting a '//count' of ONE particular block amongst many which seems comparatively useless [if '//distr' was fully functional, '//count' would be superfluous,.. actually I haven't even checked if '//count' works w/a clipboard switch,.. anyway...].

Again, thank you, very helpful.
  4. PseudoKnight

PseudoKnight Well-Known Member Developer

It might be worth looking at again after 1.13.

It's small help, but you can use "//paste -s" to select the schematic cuboid after pasting.