Forum changed, again!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by sk89q, Mar 3, 2011.

1. sk89q

sk89q Administrator Developer

Yeah, sorry. The forum was changed again. This change is going to be permanent.
    DHLF and TexasGamer like this.
  2. Silentspy

Silentspy New Member

you made the right choice going for xenforo!
  3. sk89q

Ehh, it's missing... a number of features. Its permissions also suck very badly compared to phpBB's.
  4. Paradox

Paradox New Member

MyBB is the best free one I have ever used, but since you've gone and bought XenForo, probably want to keep it.

At least its pretty on the eyes, and you know it will get good eventually (vB devs, after all)
  5. sk89q

I dunno. I've never been much of a fan of the forums for PHP. I find them to be terribly written, but perhaps it's because PHP itself is such a poorly designed language.

From what I saw of MyBB, it looked like a free clone of IPB. But that's just cloning crap, so I wasn't tooo interested. :p
  6. Paradox

Paradox New Member

It actually started as a clone of vBulletin, believe it or not.
  7. sk89q

Yeeeah I know. I used to use IPB long ago in 1.x when it came out. Forums is one of the slowest moving areas of innovation in my opinion, which is why I am not particularly fan of any one of them. Only recently (relatively), they have picked up social elements and the idea of activity stream, which I found absolutely silly. Not too long ago, keeping track of who was replying to your threads meant that you had to depend on dumb email notifications (which stopped sending after the first reply in a bulk of available forum software), which was just absolutely idiotic. Oh, and say you get a private message a few months later after you've left the forum -- well that sucks -- you'll never get notified because you disabled notifications back when you were a frequent visitor. Moderator tools were just annoying for the longest time too. The history of forum software has been "let's reinvent the wheel" and copying other forum software practically verbatim. Facebook does a lot of this better, but I guess that's what you get when you have money to throw at smart people.

I do like xenForo in that it is trying to innovate, but it looks a bit far from finishing at the moment. I'm also not quite sure how long this trail of innovation will continue... the track record of forum software has been awful.

Anyway, that's my rant of the day.
    Nentify and Joe Wisdom like this.
  8. Paradox

Paradox New Member

I hear you. Part of me doesn't ever want to set up forum software ever again. It seems like one has 3 options.

Go with the cookiecutter clone of every forum that ever existed. This is any of the phpBB, MyBB, SMF, etc forums

Go with a basic, but heavily customizable solution. Very flexible, but you have to build a lot of "basic" functionality yourself. This includes bbPress and a number of other solutions.

Go with "omgnew" which attempts to be new, and throws everything that worked away in favor of some awful horrible interface that relies on AJAX way too much. This includes vanilla, Metaforum, and more.
  9. sk89q

I've been looking at forums in other programming languages. Unfortunately, a lot of those forums are just cookie cutter clones of PHP forums... it's terrible. Still looking though.
  10. Paradox

Paradox New Member

That, or they are incredibly archaic, newsgroup-style forums (the kind where everything is threaded, and you have to load a page a billion times.

Reddit could be a powerful messageboard, given the right mods.
  11. thommy101

thommy101 Member

maybe is this message useless..
    but your home button goes toe forum.sk89q.com.. that's the same destination as the forum button which is next to it..
    maybe you can add www.sk89q.com to the homelink.
  12. Jeremyrwb

Jeremyrwb New Member

13. krootlord

krootlord New Member

14. link21

link21 New Member

Sk89q: I tried sending you a pm/starting a conversation but there's no message field and it says please enter a message. It might be because I have low priviliges as a new member or maybe because I'm using firefox? Anyways can you please email me (it's regarding a project you might be interested in). Thanks.