Half a Sphere (a dome)

Discussion in 'WorldEdit' started by NOiR, Mar 30, 2011.

1. NOiR

NOiR New Member

Hey guys,
    I am loving this plugin! I spend more time terraforming and building areas than i do building stuff and the others on the server seem to love the areas you can create with worldedit.

Just one thing that kinda bugs me and thats the spheres. I havnt yet had the need to create one but i have several times had the need to create half a sphere. A dome.

Would you concider adding a parameter or command in an upcomming version to create halfspheres?

Some would probably use it upside down to create "bowls" :)

If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to how i can mimic half a sphere with world edit? I tried shifting cuboid down into the ground and removing the sphere material from the buttom half, but that still leaves hollowing out the top part. Or creating a hollow sphere and filling the buttom part up again with some block. Seems like a "half-assed" way to do it though :)
  2. Reiver

Reiver New Member

create a flat area, create a hollow sphere at ground level on the flat area, //copy and //paste the top half is how I did it (we just had to do it last night for one of our structures)
  3. NOiR

NOiR New Member

Thats a very good idea thank you. If they get to a certain size it's quite hard to find a good area to create it in though. You need plenty of space both up and down unless your destroying the ground below the "copy" site.
  4. wizjany

wizjany Administrator Developer

This will be implemented when someone gets the time, it's already a feature request on the redmine.
  5. Noogies

Noogies New Member

I would like to chime in with my 2 cents worth of opinion on the subject.

I also have rarely had a need for a full sphere. However, it sure would be handy if we could set a Mask that would create the blocks that make up the Sphere or Hollow Sphere only in Air blocks. maybe a -m parameter that would tell it to use whatever has been set using the Brushes /mask command.
  6. wizjany

wizjany Administrator Developer

use a gmask
    Nividica likes this.
  7. Noogies

Noogies New Member

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Works perfectly!
  8. DEG_Systems_INC

DEG_Systems_INC New Member

I also would support the addition of Hollow Domes/Hollow Bowls. I have little if no use for Spheres. And it is a lot of work in any way I'v found so far to use a Sphere. Several times after clearing out the bottom half and attempting to move or Cut/Copy and Paste Huge sections of the Dome vanish. Despite this highly desired option, I want to extend my gratitude with the work on the project thus far... Great job and thank you.
  9. Nividica

Nividica New Member

I have a couple of scripts that may be able to help you out. I posted them in the craftscripts forum.
    Also, tyvm wizjany for the gmask suggestion. It was the missing key that I needed to really make my scripts work as I intended :)