1. NOTE: Me4502, the lead developer of CraftBook, can also be found on IRC chat. He does not respond on here very often.

Signs not working after upgrade

Discussion in 'CraftBook' started by Michelle Knight, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Michelle Knight

Michelle Knight New Member

Hi Folks,

Not sure this is a bug as such and there's no real urgency so I thought I'd ask here first.

I had been running bukkit for a while, I think the last update was mid last year, before all the sue thing broke loose.

Anyway, I've waited until now to update to spigot and have got things running again...

However, a load of signs, including toggles and areas, are no longer working. Obviously if I break the sign and reinstall it, then it works. But I was wondering if there was a way to refresh all this, without having to go through all the various worlds and replace all the different signs.

TIA for any help/advice.
  2. PseudoKnight

PseudoKnight Well-Known Member

This sounds like the 1.8 update (vanilla). Look at the sign. Does it not have brackets anymore? That's because of 1.8 changes to signs. There's no easy solutions. All signs in chunks that have been loaded in 1.8 are now permanent. You can restore a backup for that or manually replace them. The Spigot team added a -DconvertLegacySigns=true flag for startup that attempts to convert all signs and tag them as converted. Personally, I used a MCEdit filter on my worlds before updating.

You can read more here:
    https://hub.spigotmc.org/jira/browse/SPIGOT-60

If that's not your issue, apologies.
  3. Michelle Knight

Michelle Knight New Member

No need to apologise ... that is, indeed, my issue. Only certain signs have lost their brackets. Unfortunately, some of the more complex signs like the area ones, are the ones that need to be re-done. I have a variety of multi-selection "railway stations" that rely on these, so ultimately, I think I'm going to take the opportunity to go through the world and give everything a shake down ... so rather than roll back and use MC Edit, I think I'll re-work the signs in 1.8.3

Thank you very much for helping me out. I know where I'm going now.
  4. PseudoKnight

PseudoKnight Well-Known Member

Anything with spaces in them don't lose brackets. It's because it detected it as a JSON format. My solution with MCEdit didn't handle double quotes correctly, so any signs with "words" turned into ""words"". I find that highly preferable to broken functional signs, though. Heh. I had tens of thousands of them due to Deadbolt and shop signs.