What is the best server type for Worldsuite & mods? Forge Bukkit Spigot ???

Discussion in 'Server Help' started by Zombinsomniac, May 20, 2015.

1. Zombinsomniac

Zombinsomniac New Member

Hey there hosters of Worldedit Craftbook worldguard mod servers. I'm starting up my own, and was wondering what server build you prefer for your server and why?

What pros / cons have you seen? Who has the best / most server mods? Which is the best supported / most reliable?

Forge Bukkit Spigot or another unmentioned Server? do you prefer a server manager?
  2. wizjany

wizjany Administrator Developer

sponge will be the best overall supported soon, really depends on what kind of server you want, what your goals are, whether you want to use other mods, etc.
  3. sk89q

sk89q Administrator Developer

Forge has gameplay mods mostly. Bukkit/Spigot have server administrator mods mostly. There's some overlap though, but you generally won't find a mod that's for both. Generally, most people that use Forge make use of mods that require a modded client, so if you're aiming for "vanilla" players, Bukkit is the better option.

Bukkit is dead and Spigot is its unofficial successor.

WorldEdit exists for both Forge and Bukkit and is one of the few mods like it, but WorldGuard and CraftBook are only for Bukkit.

There used to be a project called Cauldron that let you run Forge and Bukkit mods together, but that project is now dead, as its main developer is now working on Sponge.

Sponge is supposed to bring both worlds together eventually.
  4. wizjany

wizjany Administrator Developer

I'd like to note that if craftbook is an important part of your goals, don't get comfortable with bukkit-based servers, because it's not longer supported. The developer of craftbook (Me4502) is only maintaining a sponge version now.