1. NOTE: These forums are no longer used. Please use Discord instead.

Worldedit //regen issue

Discussion in 'WorldEdit' started by dats_me, Jun 13, 2015.

1. dats_me

dats_me New Member

server is running Craftbukkit version git-Spigot-6a6b839-b0e81a4 (MC:1.8.6)
    (Implementing API version 1.8.6-R0.1-SNAPSHOT)

Worldedit:
    Version 6.1;no_git_id by sk89q

I select an area 200 x 200 x 256 (y0 to y256) I then use
    //contract 241 d
    which selects only level y-0 to y-15. (Correctly selected area frame viewed in Worledit cui)
    Then I use //regen (no args)
    I have two problems that occur when I do this:
    1. World edit will still randomly replaces blocks above the selected level ( like at y-62)
    i.e changes a players house wall in the selected x/z area on the surface from all stone brick to random blocks like granite and coal.

2. Regenerates trees, foliage, & mobs on the surface area above the selected levels y1 --> y15
  2. PseudoKnight

PseudoKnight Well-Known Member Developer

This is not too surprising, given how terrain generation works in MC. But that definitely sounds much worse than it was before on previous MC versions. Structure generation tends to overflow selections, but I can't recall it happening so far from a selection. That said, any time I use regen it's for surface areas or custom generators. If you need something more precise, I suggest using snapshots. Still, I think //regen could use some reworking here, if at all possible. (it might not be)

[edit] I just refreshed myself on the functionality, and it's supposed to restore blocks that are outside the selection. So something is definitely wrong. Maybe the timing is wrong.

It may have to do with your selection size -- if the chunk isn't loaded. That's also a lot of data to save in memory. (it copies the chunks in the selection, regenerates all those chunks, then pastes everything outside the selection)
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  3. dats_me

dats_me New Member

Thanks for the reply Pseudoknight.
    I don't think it really has anything to do with the number of blocks I am selecting because it also happens when I tried using the selection "//chunk" then "//contract 241 d".
  4. sk89q

sk89q Administrator Developer

As PsuedoKnight said, //regen actually has to tell Minecraft to regenerate the entire chunk (or several chunks if your selection spans several). Since //regen is supposed to work on a selection, WorldEdit saves copies of the chunks before it regenerates the chunks and then pastes back blocks that were outside the selection.

Perhaps something changed with MC 1.8 where some changes occur after the initial generation, after which WorldEdit has already pasted back the changes and assumed that the entire operation had finished. I'd log an issue on http://youtrack.sk89q.com
  5. dats_me

dats_me New Member

Wow sk89q! Thanks for all your hard work! Will do :)